It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:58 am

Competition Grows for One Lap 
Race Official
Race Official

Post Competition Grows for One Lap
This year should be pretty epic with some of the new faces coming on board.

Ryan Gates announced that he was bringing his new car that he designed in collaboration with AMS and a list of others. Essentially a nicely light modded Evo X that they were able to retain the factory warranty on with Mitsubishi.

Barry Bondine & Michael Manning of Draco Performance are coming.
That would be former NASCAR Craftsman Truck Driver, Barry Bondine.

Then there is the enormous cranium of Chris Wirth who has partnered with a special helmet company to fit that growing head of his. He is prepping what sounds to be a pretty quick car for Paul Seto and a racing phenom co-driver.

Stephen

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:46 pm
Power Drifter
Power Drifter

Post Re: Competition Grows for One Lap
My helmets always have to be special ordered, nothing new there. :)

Before you get beat up in person, it's "Bodine" btw not "Bondine"...

I feel we are going to have a top 5 capable car this year, all that is left is the drivers performing under pressure. Ryan Gates 311RS Evo X might be lightly modded but it's still going to be reasonably quick on a road course in his hands, definitely won't count him out. There are plenty of other fast cars going as well, Corvette Z06's/ZR1's, Nissan GTR's, Porsche's, a Ferrari F430, Dodge Viper's, a Twincharged Lotus with crazy power/weight ratio, and all manners of surprises that we don't even know are coming yet.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:24 pm
Race Official
Race Official

Luckily that means we have a top 4 car.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:58 am
Power Drifter
Power Drifter

I was thinking:

1) Leh Keen

2) Chris Wirth

3) Stephen Burke

4) Ryan Gates

There's your top 4! :)

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:58 am
Race Official
Race Official

I guess the concussion isn't healing as fast as you had hoped eh? Because you are showing CLEAR signs of being delusional. :)

- Sean Caron
2006 Graphite Grey Evolution IX

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:17 pm
Power Drifter
Power Drifter

Tevenor wrote:
I guess the concussion isn't healing as fast as you had hoped eh? Because you are showing CLEAR signs of being delusional. :)

It's called a joke dude, lighten up Francis.

I guess we'll have to wait for the actual race to see what happens this year but thanks for the vote of confidence.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:08 am
Race Official
Race Official

Remember when we used to go to the shootout and those first couple years we were really fast? I even one a trophy for FWD class.
One Lap guys have always been fast. Now the competitive track guys are showing up to the game and achieving a top 10 will become challenging.

Finishing the race is still the victory in itself.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:32 am
STM
STM

I'm betting on the guys with the least amount of mods. All you guys are modding the hell out of an already awesome chassis only to make it harder to finish the event in one piece. Do some suspension mods, lighten your cars up, add a safe tune and call it a day.

-Em

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:01 am
Race Official
Race Official

Hiboost wrote:
It's called a joke dude, lighten up Francis.

Right back at ya, Smurfboy. :)

Hiboost wrote:
I guess we'll have to wait for the actual race to see what happens this year but thanks for the vote of confidence.

I have the supreme confidence in your ability to put together a car that will hold together for 8 days of whatever the road and track can throw at it. Otherwise I wouldn't have spent the last 2 years chugging down the road with you. :)

I also have the supreme confidence that this year will present a much bigger range of talent than the last 2 years. And therefore, if other cars don't break down, a much more significant challenge. Keep what made us successful foremost in your mind: have fun, don't put undo pressure on yourself, and make it through all 8 days. Anything after that is icing.

- Sean Caron

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:07 am
Power Drifter
Power Drifter

The way I see it, I've already completed the race twice in the top 10, if I wanted to play it safe then 350-400 whp would be all we would worry about making and call it a day so we could just "finish" the race again. Sure it "should" be more reliable then a 550 whp setup but the chances of it having the straightline speed to ever challenge the top 5 without some serious luck, or counting on bad luck of other competitors, we would be destined for the same top 10 finish I've already reached. Yes if Stefan and I were both replaced with a single Pro driver we would be faster, but what would be the point. Yes if we fielded a new Nissan GTR with moderate mods it would probably be easier to stay competitive, but going that route would be quite a bit bigger investment. Paul wanted to gun for the top 5 this year and I think we can do it with proper planning.

Obviously everyone will have their opinions of what will "win" but until you actually go to an event you won't understand the delicate balance between having the power fly down the straights and the handling for the turns without risking reliability. Emery: I by all means encourage you to get some road racing under your belt this year and enter the 2013 One Lap event next year so that you can experience it first hand. Even detuned your Evo 9 RS would be quite a force, maybe even take a lower powered car as you suggest so that you can out last everyone else. Obviously many cars get built up and things are overlooked and failures knock them out of the race, but that only gets you so far because there are always a fair amount that are fast AND reliable with good (or pro) drivers!

Ryan Gates will likely be one of the fastest in the turns with a good entry level JRZ suspension and likely excellent driving. He should have good reliability because he will have Girodisc braking and great handling, but the straightline speed is going to be mid pack in my opinion. Granted by entering the straights at a faster pace than most and out braking many others he will reduce that weakness but you can only make a car so fast with driving skill alone when you are running 50-75% of the power to weight ratio that the front runners have.

Paul's MR is going to have a reasonable 550 whp, as opposed to 800 whp on a certain Evo 9 RS running E85. The boost levels to reach the 550 whp aren't going to be through the roof because we went with a built up 2.2L Buschur engine that when tuned properly should be quite efficient and dependable. The turbo will be a Borg Warner unit from Full-Race with their legendary manifold work using smaller quicker responding runners and the engine will make good power for the amount of boost we are running on 93 octane fuel. The transmission was upgraded so that clutch slip should not happen and was carefully chosen based on what Jeremy at SSP Texas already uses on his setup with similar power. It's going to take some feats to get it all tuned correctly but I have resources that have helped me get the right info to make it happen.

The suspension is by no means going to be a weak point utlizing a KW Clubsport suspension with more aggressive spring rates which we will balance with front and rear bar adjustments as we see fit. The Vorshlag upper mounts have camber and caster adjustment to work along with the Roll center kit and other suspension tweaks too numerous to list here. Everything will be corner balanced and the suspension will be setup similar to how my car was in years past. Braking wasn't neglected either as we will have Stoptech ST60 brakes using Raybestos ST-43 compount with 18mm thick pads and Stock Bremo rears with ST-43 compounds as well. Tires will likely be 285/35-18 Hankook R-S3's which are likely one of the best in the dry or Michelin Pilot Super Sports if we want a more conservative setup that will do better in wet or colder track conditions.

For me less stress is knowing I spent the time beforehand to have the best, most reliable setup for Paul's car going into the event. I also agree that the competition has grown over the last few years but that doesn't mean I'm going to roll over and just give in. Not on my watch! Compared to past years we should actually be testing the car on the track before the event which we did not have the opportunity to do the last 2 years. I've seen what the weak points are and all of the ones I'm aware of have been addressed. We're also using modern simulation technology to help memorize the courses this year, and compared to the past where we just had in car videos and maps to go on we will be much better off. Granted we have to be on mark for 19 out of 19 events to be competitive, but so does every other driver out there that feels they have a shot at the top 5.

Somtimes you just have to believe going into the competition or you have already lost before you started. :boosted:

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:05 pm
Race Official
Race Official

Hiboost wrote:
The way I see it, I've already completed the race twice in the top 10,...

We.

Hiboost wrote:
....rest of your post....

You've missed my point. Execution is the art of making "could of's" into "did's". Don't interrupt the execution by over-thinking the expectations. Focus on the preparations, live in the moment like we did, and the "could of's" won't turn into "should of's". They might even surprise you and turn into "did's".

- Sean Caron

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:26 pm
Race Official
Race Official

emery wrote:
I'm betting on the guys with the least amount of mods. All you guys are modding the hell out of an already awesome chassis only to make it harder to finish the event in one piece. Do some suspension mods, lighten your cars up, add a safe tune and call it a day.

-Em

Good plan. I tried that last year.
It worked well, we were in first, until we started on fire. I understand where you are coming from however.

Stephen

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:57 pm
Race Official
Race Official

Hiboost wrote:
We're also using modern simulation technology to help memorize the courses this year, and compared to the past where we just had in car videos and maps to go on we will be much better off.

That is funny.
Modern simulation technology = Chris Wirth finally has a gaming console and a steering wheel.

Stephen

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:01 pm
STM
STM

nrvous wrote:
emery wrote:

-Em

Good plan. I tried that last year.
It worked well, we were in first, until we started on fire. I understand where you are coming from however.

Stephen

Now imagine if your car weighed about 25-2700 lbs. It would do everything 5X's better.

-Em

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 am
Race Official
Race Official

emery wrote:

Now imagine if your car weighed about 25-2700 lbs. It would do everything 5X's better.

-Em

Certainly helped in the DSM world back in the day. No reason not to apply the same logic in the Evo world. Lighter = better weight to power ration, easy shock on driveline parts, better utilization of braking build outs, and better utilization of the suspension technologies. However lighter means you need more aero to retain the downforces needed for maximized grip. Ultimately grip is what matters for time. Reducing weight requires an increase in aero generated downforce to recover.

- Sean Caron

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:10 am
Power Drifter
Power Drifter

I think Cory dropped ~120 lbs in the Paul's Evo X but beyond that we would have to remove safety items & creature comforts that would start impairing it's ability to be a daily driver for Paul. Weight removal with lightweight bodyparts gets expensive quickly as well. 2500-2700 lbs and streetable with AC, ABS, airbags, crashbars, and an interior is not realistic on an Evo X and would seem pointless to me if you left the power output close to stock. While you can tough out rough edges of a gutted car for a few days, for years that we hit southern tracks it's absolute hell being stuck in a car with no AC, loud exhaust, and lightweight race seats for 8+ hour drives any time temps go over 80*F with high humidity. Sean, good point about needing more aero to keep the car planted on the ground.

Driving the Evo X for the first time on a wet skid pad last year with zero practice was my biggest mistake, we (or should i just say "I" Sean?) lost 200-250 points in that one event alone and I'm not going to let that happen again. We had to play catch up the entire rest of the event and it was not an easy path.

Sean, I have no idea what you are trying to say, but all I'm doing this year is making the car more competitive based on my past experience of prepping the cars for One Lap Events. Where we fall on the charts will be up to the drivers assuming the car is there and we are counting on STM to do the best they can in putting it all together. We were a great team the last two years and it sucks you are sidelined this time around but that doesn't mean we're just going to coast this year. I could have left Paul's car the same as he left it last year and honestly it would be less reliable in my eyes with an aging stock engine. We would have been underpowered with a budget suspension and my expectations would be to "just finish".

Steve, if you think memorizing the tracks in simulators is a waste of time, don't do it. In fact, don't watch any videos or even look at track maps, just go out there and feel the course as it comes at you!

Any ETA's from Marco on when your engine will be ready to go?

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:41 am
Race Official
Race Official

Hiboost wrote:
Sean, I have no idea what you are trying to say, but all I'm doing this year is making the car more competitive based on my past experience of prepping the cars for One Lap Events. Where we fall on the charts will be up to the drivers assuming the car is there and we are counting on STM to do the best they can in putting it all together. We were a great team the last two years and it sucks you are sidelined this time around but that doesn't mean we're just going to coast this year. I could have left Paul's car the same as he left it last year and honestly it would be less reliable in my eyes with an aging stock engine. We would have been underpowered with a budget suspension and my expectations would be to "just finish".

I don't believe I said anything about "coasting". Not sure where you are reading that. Once you get behind the wheel, you drive to win. Nobody drives for second place.

My point is simple and since it needs to be blunt: Don't wind yourself up over where you should place. Just go out and drive the piss out of it and prove that you belong there. And you can't do that unless you have 100% confidence in the platform. So spend less time worrying NOW about where you will place and MORE time getting the car so that it will live through it.

- Sean Caron

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:36 am
Power Drifter
Power Drifter

Yeah not taking it too literally anymore, used to be that you could make a statement like "top 20 competitive car" and not start a feeding frenzy. The coasting comment was me responding to what Emery was suggesting, basically bringing a stock car with built up suspension to the party, or to leave the car alone and just drive it. Paul didn't want to bring a knife to a gun fight so we are bumping the performance in measured amounts.

Trust me I'm not worrying about the specific place we are shooting for, our prep and driving will determine the outcome when the event actually happens.

Cory is dropping the engine into the car tonight and things are moving forward quite well. Just about all the parts have arrived, suspension should be here as early as Wednesday even. Now I'm concentrating on the Vinyl details that are going to be a handful to coordinate. Portwork on the head looks quite good, can't wait to tune this monster on the dyno.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:23 pm
STM
STM

Chris, I think your guys car will do really well if it stays together. Just don't get caught up in all the numbers and cause yourself to push it. Tune it really conservative and have fun with it.

At the end of the day having fun is all that matters and fixing or breaking the car is a lot less fun than taking 2nd place.

-Em

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:33 pm
Race Official
Race Official

emery wrote:
At the end of the day having fun is all that matters and fixing or breaking the car is a lot less fun than taking 2nd place.

-Em

Those are wise words and I should know.

"all race no rice"

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:22 am