It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:22 am

the Dunlop Direzza ZII 
Race Official
Race Official

Post the Dunlop Direzza ZII
We didn't know if it was going to happen until this past week, but it looks like we get to run One Lap on the new Dunlop Direzza ZII. We have run Dunlops on the event for the past 4 years.
We were planning on moving over to the Hankook RS3s this year after the results Tim had in lap times at the Watkins Glen.

Dunlop asked us to run the tires and help review what we thought because they believe that strongly over their performance. Nothing says ultimate test of automotive tires than the One Lap of America.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Power Drifter
Power Drifter

Post Re: the Dunlop Direzza ZII
So how did the tires do?

Fri May 24, 2013 1:43 am
Race Official
Race Official

Post Re: the Dunlop Direzza ZII
Waiting for Harper's master write up. He can put more feedback to it because frankly it is hard to go too analytical driving somebody else's car. I need a set on the Evo, taking laps at the glen to have a better impression.

So here is my 5 cent impression.
The tire has been traction overall over the Direzza 1. It better right? They improved the initial bite dramatically over the first series. I was focused on that because I felt I had lost some going from the Yokohama ad08 to the Direzza 1 and I got that back in the Direzza II.

They still feel like they have a magic temperature range so that will need some consistent laps to figure out if that is still a window.

Road noise. Really nice. They are quiet. I could hear Tim farting and parts falling off the car for all 8 days.

This is a unique to my bitching but they improved the hydroplaning. Every tire will hydroplane at a point. When the first series would grab heavy water it would walk the car laterally. These don't feel like you are going to die and a release of throttle does what it is supposed to.

They are pretty good just in the wet. I thought I did better in the skid pad than I did because the car felt great. Again I want to put them on another car (like my own) and run that again.

I had challenges driving the VR-4 to its potential. Frankly it was a hard car to jump right into and be at track ready levels. So I backed off a lot and survived the laps. We had a ton of tire left at the end and I think it was a result of pansy laps.

It will be good to see how they do at the glen Monday with Tim driving.

Stephen

Fri May 24, 2013 3:33 am